USS Merrimack - CSS Virginia - Nouveau Twist Ballpoint
DescriptionUSS Merrimack - CSS Virginia - Nouveau Twist Ballpoint
- Handcrafted Nouveau styled Twist Ballpoint with collector quality Rhodium hardware featuring 24K Gold Plated hand-carved accents (GUN METAL FINISH and 24K Gold Plate available upon request, please put a request in NOTES at Check out.
- Created from Witness Wood® acquired by History Salvaged, The USS Merrimack Witness Wood® was part of a collection from the family estate of Samuel C. Herbert, Jr.
- Authentic USS Merrimack/CSS Virginia Witness Wood® featured in an heirloom collectors quality pen.
- Engraved: USS Merrimack OR CSS Virginia (your choice)
- Each pen is individually handcrafted and therefore may vary in look and feel.
- As all of History Salvaged pens are custom made to order, please allow 4 weeks for delivery
- Made in the USA
The USS Merrimack Witness Wood® acquired as part of a collection from the family estate of Samuel C. Herbert, Jr.
Born in Pennsylvania, Herbert was commissioned 1st LT field and staff officer in the NJ 4th Infantry, was promoted to Major and served as Quartermaster and later Paymaster before mustering out as a Lt. Colonel in 1865. The 4th NJ participated in 25 engagements including all major battles in PA, MD and VA and pursued and was present at the surrender of General Robert E. Lee and the Army of Northern Virginia at Appomattox Courthouse.
CSS Virginia was the first steam-powered ironclad warship built by the Confederate States Navy during the first year of the Civil War; it was constructed as a casemate ironclad using the raised and cut down original lower hull and engines of the scuttled steam frigate USS Merrimack. Virginia was one of the participants in the Battle of Hampton Roads, opposing the Union’s USS Monitor in March 1862. The battle is chiefly significant in naval history as the first battle between ironclads.
This extremely rare and decaying wood was stabilized and cast by the renowned artisan Tim Kipps. Tim's expertise has made it possible for History Salvaged to turn these amazing Witness Wood® artifacts into heirlooms that will last for generations to come.
All pens are handcrafted by or under the supervision of our Master Pen Craftsman and are made in America.
Each is individually handmade and each varies in look and feel.
All History Salvaged product is guaranteed authentic and made utilizing the wood describe and in conjunction with our partner clients.
All History Salvaged products arrive in Eco-Friendly packaging.