APPOMATTOX COURT HOUSE PEN
- Elegant rollerball with components made of the highest quality materials
- Hand-cast insets on the cap and post give this pen distinctive and unrivaled beauty
- Created from a roof shingle from the "Surrender House": the McLean House, where on Palm Sunday, April 9, 1865, General Robert E. Lee surrendered to Lieutenant General Ulysses S. Grant ending the Civil War
- Witness Wood® featured in this collectors quality heirloom pen
- Collector Quality Rhodium and Black Titanium hardware featuring a solid silver Jewel Cap
- Witness Wood® silver jewel cap
- Engraved McLean House - Appomattox, VA
- Made in the USA
- Each pen is individually handcrafted and therefore may vary in look and feel
The Appomattox Pen is a Limited Edition Collection created from a roof shingle from the "Surrender House": the McLean House, where on Palm Sunday, April 9, 1865, General Robert E. Lee surrendered to Lieutenant General Ulysses S. Grant ending the Civil War. This piece of cedar shingle is Witness Wood® acquired by The Historic Pen Company that was replaced during the 2-year reconstruction of the "Surrender House" from 1947-1949.
One of the first battles of the American Civil War took place on the farm of Wilmer McLean at Bull Run, VA: the First Battle of Bull Run (First Battle of Manassas). Fearing the family's safety, Wilmer McLean relocated the family to Clover Hill, VA (renamed Appomattox Court House) 120 miles to the south.
It can be said that the Civil War started in McLean's backyard in 1861 and ended in his parlor in 1865. (Neither event, however, marked the true beginning or end of hostilities.)
This unique piece of Witness Wood® posed challenging for HPC's Master Craftsmen in that the shingle was not thick enough to put on a lathe. Through the process of casting, HPC created a mold that incorporated pieces of the "Surrender House" shingle encased in a polymer that when hardened allowed the Witness Wood® cast to be turned on a lathe producing the extraordinary Appomattox Pen.
All pens are handcrafted by Master Pen Craftsman and are made in America.
Each is individually hand-made and each varies in look and feel both in grain and shape.
All History Salvaged product is guaranteed authentic and made utilizing the wood describe and in conjunction with our partner clients.
All HPC products arrive in Eco-Friendly packaging.