Thomas Jefferson Tulip Poplar
Thomas Jefferson - author of the Declaration of Independence and the Statute of Virginia for Religious Freedom, third President of the United States, and founder of the University of Virginia - voiced the aspirations of a new America as no other individual of his era. As a public official, historian, philosopher, and plantation owner, he served his country for over five decades.
In 1769, Jefferson began building his house on the plantation that he inherited from his father, Peter Jefferson and although still incomplete in the 1780s, it still
impressed European visitors with the sophistication of its design. By 1809, Jefferson finished the rebuilding of Monticello begun in 1796. He transformed the original eight-room Palladian villa, with its tall two-story portico, into a 21-room house designed in the fashionable Neoclassical style he saw in France.
Jefferson, an avid horticulturist, also created the gardens at Monticello, which were a botanic showpiece, a source of food, and an experimental laboratory of ornamental and useful plants from around the world. He experimented with plant species brought over from Europe and was particularly interested in developing vineyards.
The Tulip Poplar used in this pen was acquired from the local company that was contracted to remove the hollowed-out and dead tree that graced the SW corner of the building in 2008.
In his Weather Memorandum Book on April 16, 1807, Jefferson noted planting "1. Laurodendron in margin of SW [shrub circle] from the nursery." This is the exact spot that this poplar tree was growing. The Thomas Jefferson Foundation believed that this was enough evidence to consider and promote this tree as the only one on the property that was definitely original and planted by Jefferson.
The Historian Witness Wood® Fountain Pens are available in the below Witness Woods®, please inquire if you have a specific request:
- Thomas Jeffersons Monticello
- Teddy Roosevelt Sagamore Hill
- Ronald Reagan - Reagan Ranch
- George Washington - Washington planted the tree in Fredericksburg, VA
- Abe Lincoln Birthplace
- Sam Houston Pecan
- Independence Hall
- Ford's Theatre
- Ulysses S. Grant - Grant Cottage
- Napoleon - La Natalie
- Brooklyn Bridge
- Basilica of St. Francis
The newly designed and handcrafted History Savaged fountain pen, The Historian was created to enhance our Mission: the reclamation, salvaging and repurposing of wood and other natural materials from historic sites throughout the United States and beyond that would otherwise be discarded and lost to history.
We challenged ourselves to design The Historian to best present our myriad of historic Witness Woods® in a way that would not only enhance the rarity and beauty of our Witness Woods® but stand the test of time. We wanted to create a Classic Witness Wood® Fountain Pen that would last several lifetimes.
The Historian accomplishes that goal in design and craftsmanship to create this classic brass-capped and Witness Wood® bodied fountain pen that is truly a piece of history and functional art, worthy of being passed down to future generations, along with the story of each piece of Witness Wood® contains.
Structurally, each The Historian is completely handcrafted (except the nib) and begins with a brass bar drilled and milled to accommodate an aluminum core. The aluminum core contains the threading to contain the clip and the threading to attach to the main pen body, as well as the benefit of reducing the weight of the cap.
A hollowed aluminum shaft is inserted into the Witness Wood® body and supports the main pen body. This insert adds to the overall strength and at the same time protects the valuable Witness Wood® from damage from an internal ink leak. A threaded brass fitting is pressure fit into the aluminum liner that connects the body to the cap.
The aluminum and brass inserts further benefit the pen by providing an airtight seal, thus preventing the nib from drying out between uses.
The brass cap is then dimpled and polished to a mirror finish.
A cyanoacrylate covering consisting of 20 coats is applied to the Witness Wood® surfaces, protecting and enhancing the historic Witness Wood® body. The Cyanoacrylate becomes an acrylic coating that polishes to a mirror finish and adds to the depth in appearance in the Witness Wood®.
The Historian when finished is a Classic Witness Wood® Fountain Pen with a dimpled mirror-like brass cap and a beautifully balanced torpedo-shaped Witness Wood® body that is comfortable in the hand.
All pens are handcrafted by or under the supervision of our Master Pen Craftsman and are made in America.
Each is individually hand made and each varies in look and feel.
All History Salvaged product is guaranteed authentic and made utilizing the wood describe and in conjunction with our partner clients.
All History Salvaged products arrive in Eco-Friendly packaging.
Please allow 2-4 weeks for delivery as each Historian is custom-made to order.