White House Witness Wood®
This WHITE HOUSE fountain pen is created from Witness Wood® acquired by History Salvaged that was removed and made available to the public following the 1927 and the 1950 renovations of the White House, home to every US President since 1800.
In 1927, Calvin Coolidge, tired of the leaky roof, had the attic space expanded into a full third floor by constructing a steel-frame story atop the brick and mortar walls of 1800. According to the Army Corps of Engineers' report, the added weight contributed to the failure of the structure by 1949, prompting our 33rd President, Harry Truman to renovate the entire building, in what has become known as the 1950 Truman Reconstruction.
During both the 1927 and 1950 reconstructions, the US Government sold limited quantities of "mementos" to the public to help support funding of the work. History Salvaged has spent more than 10 years scouring public and private collections, museums and fraternal organizations to acquire enough Witness Wood® to produce our White House Witness Wood® pens. Each pen is produced primarily from Mid-Atlantic Heart Pine and/or oak removed during the reconstructions.
The newly designed and handcrafted History Savaged fountain pen, The Historian was created to enhance our Mission: the reclamation, salvaging and repurposing of wood and other natural materials from historic sites throughout the United States and beyond that would otherwise be discarded and lost to history.
We challenged ourselves to design The Historian to best present our myriad of historic Witness Woods® in a way that would not only enhance the rarity and beauty of our Witness Woods® but stand the test of time. We wanted to create a Classic Witness Wood® Fountain Pen that would last several lifetimes.
The Historian accomplishes that goal in design and craftsmanship to create this classic brass-capped and Witness Wood® bodied fountain pen that is truly a piece of history and functional art, worthy of being passed down to future generations, along with the story of each piece of Witness Wood® contains.
Structurally, each The Historian is completely handcrafted (except the nib) and begins with a brass bar drilled and milled to accommodate an aluminum core. The aluminum core contains the threading to contain the clip and the threading to attach to the main pen body, as well as the benefit of reducing the weight of the cap.
A hollowed aluminum shaft is inserted into the Witness Wood® body and supports the main pen body. This insert adds to the overall strength and at the same time protects the valuable Witness Wood® from damage from an internal ink leak. A threaded brass fitting is pressure fit into the aluminum liner that connects the body to the cap.
The aluminum and brass inserts further benefit the pen by providing an airtight seal, thus preventing the nib from drying out between uses.
The brass cap is then dimpled and polished to a mirror finish.
A cyanoacrylate covering consisting of 20 coats is applied to the Witness Wood® surfaces, protecting and enhancing the historic Witness Wood® body. The Cyanoacrylate becomes an acrylic coating that polishes to a mirror finish and adds to the depth in appearance in the Witness Wood®.
The Historian when finished is a Classic Witness Wood® Fountain Pen with a dimpled mirror-like brass cap and a beautifully balanced torpedo-shaped Witness Wood® body that is comfortable in the hand.
All pens are handcrafted by or under the supervision of our Master Pen Craftsman and are made in America.
Each is individually hand made and each varies in look and feel.
All History Salvaged product is guaranteed authentic and made utilizing the wood describe and in conjunction with our partner clients.
All History Salvaged products arrive in Eco-Friendly packaging.